People you should hire are D.A.R.C
D = Digital Citizen
A = Analytical Chops
R = Web Reach
C = Content Creators
Born Web or very familiar with Web. Speak Web fluently. Here are a few questions to determine if the guy is a Digital Citizen or just someone good at internet.
- What RSS reader do you use? Can you show it to me?
- What blogs do you read?
- Do you rank first for your name in Google?
- Do you use Delicious? Can you show it to me?
- Do you have a blog? Can you show it to me?
- Do you use Facebook or LinkinIn? When was the last time you updated your profile?
- Do you use Twitter? Can you show me?
- Do you have a channel on YouTube? Can you show it to me?
The good thing about inbound marketing is that everything is completely measureable. Unlike the traditional outbound marketing, the old saying:”I know I am wasting half my marketing budget, but I’m just not sure which half.
If you are serious about your online business, you must analyze all of this information in order to make better decisions. It’s difficult to figure out if someone is analytical from a standard interview. You should have your prospective hire bring to the interview his or her favorite spreadsheet with pivot tables, and show you some counter-intuitive insight that came out of the spreadsheet model in graph format.
Someone who has a large Twitter following or a popular industry blog. If you hire a marketer within your industry that has a large Twitter following or a popular industry blog, your company dramatically extends its reach because that marketer opens up new channels into the top of your funnel. Here are the questions for Web Reach:
- Do a search on this candidate.
- How many subscribers to your blog?
- Do you talk about our industry on your blog or about personal stuff.
- How many facebook follower do you have?
- Do you talk about our industry on your fb?
- How many linkedIn follower do you have?
- How many Twitter follower do you have?
- Do you talk about our industry on your Twitter?
Someone with a great writing skills, preferably an existing journalist. You can test them by paying them to write a blog article for you. Then measure the effectiveness of this article by seeing how many links it attracted, how many views it got, how many comments it received.
It is hard to find D,A,R,C in spades. If you are a small business, then you want to try to get as many of these qualities in one person as you can.
Leave a comment